Saturday, November 20, 2010

And besides, you're not the only one and it isn't that bad.

One of my favorite quotes for the past ten years.  People usually hate it when you say it to them especially if they are complaining about something which to them appears to be a big deal.  And it really isn't.  Because honestly most things we complain about aren't.  And it's almost certain you aren't the only person going through it.

  Turns out I'm not the only one deeply touched by Willow Smith's anthem to the youth...which according to my 11-13 year old sources "has been out for at least 6 months". 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhFh-JqQuMg

It's seriously hilarious.  Best part I was watching it at work with my co-workers and this is how the conversation went:

CoWorker 1:  Now Jimmy Fallon is doing a good Neil Young but he doesn't really look like him.  The face is all wrong.  But that guy is doing an awesome Bruce.

CoWorker 2: Yeah, I don't know who he got to play the Boss but he sounds just like him. 

  Yes folks, IT IS Bruce Springsteen.  FYI: spell check just dinged me when I accidentally left the G out of his name.  I thought last names weren't in spell check.  Mine always gets the red squiggly line.  I guess when you get to a certain level of fame the enter your name in the spell check database.  On that line of thought, is there a spell check database?  Each year new words are supposedly entered in the dictionary.  Or each time they do a reprint of Ye Ole Websters or American Heritage or dictionary.com.  I wonder.  Is spell check a computer program or is it actual people?  I bet there is a Google (which has the red squiggly line until I capitalized that G)  article about spell check somewhere.

  The idea we're tackling this week is SELF IMPORTANCE.  Yes you are great!  Yes you are important!  Some people take it way too far.  Myself included (at times).  I take issue with Katy Perry.  And not just because she spells our name with a Y.  I just watched her video "Firework" on my sisters tumblr page.  The message is in the right place but the fireworks shooting from her breasts really held my focus.  This is what teens watch.  And they are an influential group, in advertising, in media, (which are basically the same thing to me at this point) in fashion (check out that little chick who has a fashion blog, Tavi Gevinson) and one thing many teens subscribe to is SELF IMPORTANCE.  You are a firework! You must spread your light and shine forth.  Do the right thing!  But do it in your best interest and for the good of the people??  These are complicated messages.  But they go out to teens everyday.  It's a bit of a superficial dip into a much larger issue but the point of my blog is not to answer your questions.  It's to make you think about things.
  I started this blog thinking about the dating world.  And it's been a year.  Since then a lot has changed on my blog.  I found the cyber dating world to be a simultaneously scary and funny place.  Lately I've been thinking about setting up more dates just for the stories.  Now I think the blog needs to be a vehicle for people to know all the important things I think in my head!  And besides, I'm not the only one and truly it isn't that bad!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment